Who we are
What information we collect about you
The personal information you submit on the Career Site to create a profile on the iCims career platform includes information such as your first name, last name, email address, address (street, city, country, state/ province and postal code) as well as a login name and a password. On a voluntary basis you may provide equal employment opportunity information on your gender, race, potential disabilities and veteran capacity as well as the source where you heard about us or the employment opportunity we offer. When applying for a specific job you are able to submit your resume or CV to us. You also may attach a resume or create a profile using via Facebook, Google+, or LinkedIn. If you sign in through such a social media account, any information you provide will be used by us exclusively for the Career Site application process.
In order to identify your job requirements and to assess whether you might be considered for the further application procedure you may be required to provide further information about:
- previous employment and other information about your intended career;
- your qualifications, such as skills, education, spoken languages and language skills, work permits for a specific country, and experience in specific areas and industries;
- your preferences, such as jobs you are interested in; and
- when you are available for an interview or could start a job.
During the recruitment process – on a voluntary basis – you may also provide other information that you consider relevant to your application.
Who has access to your data
Your application details will be available to Urban Science group companies which use the Career Site in support of their recruitment activities. To the extent an Urban Science group company accesses your data and processes it further through the Career Site it acts as independent data controller in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Some Urban Science group companies are located outside the EU in countries for which an adequacy decision of the EU commission regarding data protection is not available.
We further disclose your information to third parties whom we may engage under our instruction to provide products and services on our behalf, including, but not limited to support services and website services.
We may also disclose your personal information in exceptional circumstances:
- if we need to do so in order to comply with legal obligations;
- to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our customers or third parties. In certain cases, this may include exchanging fraud protection information with other companies and organizations; and
- with legal successors or substitute operators of all or parts of our respective companies.
How we use your data
If you create a profile on the Career Site, the information you provide will be used to operate the Career Site, and to consider you for job offers. Your information will be stored on the Career Site and you can log into the system and track the progress of an application.
If you have submitted personal information as part of an application, the information collected through the Career Site will be made available to all current and future Urban Science group companies that may see your information on the Career Site and transfer it to their own systems. Once an Urban Science group company has retrieved your information, that company becomes a data controller of that information, use it for its own purposes, and ensure that it is kept secure and complies with all applicable data protection laws. We and our group companies may use information you provide to contact you based on the contact information which you provided in connection with your application or use of the Career Site.
The legal basis for our use of your data
We may process your personal information to contact you about other employment opportunities of Urban Science and Urban Science group companies that may be of interest to you.
Insofar as the processing of information on your end device is necessary to enable the use of the Career Site expressly requested by you and you access the Career Site from an EU country, the storage or access is carried out on the basis of the corresponding national implementation regulation for Art. 5 para. 3 of the ePrivacy Directive (2002/58/EC, amended by 2009/136/EC). Any further processing of information on your end device and any further processing of the data obtained in this way is based on your consent.
How long we store your data
When you create a profile on the Career Site and provide your consent that you accept that information provided in connection with an application for a specific job position will be kept available on the Career Site for up to 12 months following your last activity, unless applicable law requires us to retain your information for a longer period of time, and such information will be available to us and other Urban Science group companies so that we and/ or other Urban Science group companies can consider it for further job offerings. If you do not actively use the Career Site for 12 months, your registration account details will be automatically deleted unless applicable law requires us to retain your information for a longer period of time. You can also delete your account from the Career Site at any time.
Where we store or process your data
Information you provide through the Career Site is stored on the iCIMS, Inc. platform in connection with the hosting and operation of the Career Site and retrieved by us. This includes the transmission of data to the United States based on Standard Contractual Clauses (Commission Decision (EU) 2021/914).
Depending on the applicable laws you may have a number of rights with respect to your personal information. We have listed these rights below, and if you require further information or wish to exercise these rights, please let us know (see Contact below).
What are these rights?
- The right to have your data corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right of deletion, in simple terms, this allows you to request the deletion and removal of your data where there is no compelling reason for us to continue using it. This is not a general right to cancellation; there are exceptions and we decide on a case-by-case basis whether data will be deleted if we receive a request to exercise this right.
- You may have the right to ‘block’ or suppress the further use of your data; if processing is limited in such way, we may continue to store your data, but we may no longer use it. We keep lists of people who have asked us to ‘block’ their data in order to ensure that the limitation will be respected in the future.
- You may have the right to receive information that you have provided to us in a structured, common and machine-readable format.
- The right to lodge a complaint with your national data protection authority about the way in which we handle or process your personal data, in particular in the country in which you live, work or where there has been a suspected breach of data protection laws.
- If you have given your consent that we may handle your personal data at any time, you have the right to revoke your consent at any time (however, if you do so, this does not mean that everything we have done with your data up to that point would be unlawful).
- The right to object to the processing of data carried out on the basis of our legitimate interests. If we can prove compelling grounds for processing your personal data which are more serious than your interests, rights and freedoms, or if we need your personal data to assert, exercise or defend legal claims, we may proceed with that processing.
We usually process requests and provide information free of charge, but we may charge a reasonable fee to cover our administrative costs of providing it in the following cases:
- unfounded or excessive/repeated requests, or
- additional copies of the same data.
We will reply as soon as possible and you will be informed if we decide to charge a reasonable fee. You will normally receive a reply from us within one month of receiving your request; if we need more time to process the request, we will let you know. You may also exercise the above rights against any of our group companies that processes your personal information. To do so, you must contact the group company directly.
If you would like to exercise one of the above listed rights, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail us at:
Urban Science Applications, Inc.
400 Renaissance Center
Detroit, MI 48243
or contact our representative in the European Union as outlined above.
Additional information for California residents
This section describes your rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (and its successor statute, the California Privacy Rights Act) (“CCPA”). For information on how you may contact Urban Science to exercise these rights, please see the section below entitled, “How to Submit a Request.”
Right to Know
You have the right to request that a business disclose what personal information it collects, uses, discloses, or sells. Specifically, you may request that a business that collects personal information about you disclose to you the following:
(1) The categories of personal information it has collected about you in the preceding 12 months.
(2) The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected.
(3) The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information.
(4) The categories of third parties with whom the business shares personal information.
(5) The specific pieces of personal information it has collected about you in the preceding 12 months.
You may request that a business that sells your personal information, or that discloses it for a business purpose, disclose to you:
(1) The categories of personal information that the business collected about you in the preceding 12 months.
(2) The categories of personal information that the business sold about you and the categories of third parties to whom the personal information was sold in the preceding 12 months, by category or categories of personal information for each third party to whom the personal information was sold.
(3) The categories of personal information that the business disclosed about you for a business purpose in the preceding 12 months.
Right to Correct Inaccurate Personal Information
You have the right to request that a business correct any inaccurate personal information about you which the business has collected from you. If we determine that we cannot comply with your request when you request us to do so, we will inform you and tell you why we are not correcting it.
Right to Request Deletion
You have the right to request that a business delete any personal information about you which the business has collected from you. If it is necessary for Urban Science to maintain the personal information for certain purposes, Urban Science is not required to comply with your deletion request. If we determine that we will not delete your personal information when you request us to do so, we will inform you and tell you why we are not deleting it.
Right to Opt-Out of Sale of Personal Information
You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information. However, Urban Science does not and will not sell your personal information. Urban Science has no actual knowledge that it sells the personal information of anyone under 16 years of age.
Right to Opt-Out of Sharing of Personal Information
You have the right to opt-out of the sharing of your personal information. However, Urban Science does not share your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising.
Right to Opt-Out of Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information
You have the right to opt-out of the use and disclosure of your sensitive personal information. If Urban Science collects or processes sensitive personal information with the purpose of inferring characteristics about applicants, Urban Science will respond to such requests by restricting any further use of your sensitive personal information to those uses which are necessary to continue the application process as reasonably expected by an average employer and to perform the services permitted by applicable law.
You have the right not to be discriminated against because you exercised any of you rights under the CCPA.
For some personal information in connection with your application, the provision of this personal information is required by law or is required for the establishment of your employment. You are therefore obliged to provide us with this personal information in order to continue the application process. We would like to point out that if you do not provide us with this personal information, this may mean that we cannot employ you.
How to Submit a Request
To exercise the rights described above, you must submit a verifiable request to us by contacting Urban Science through one of the following methods:
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call us toll-free at 800-321-6900 Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. United States Eastern Time Zone, excluding holidays.
You may submit a request as frequently as you would like, but we are not required to respond to requests to provide personal information to you more than twice in any 12-month period.
To protect your privacy, we will take steps to reasonably verify your identity before fulfilling your request. These steps may involve asking you to provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative, or to answer questions regarding your application submission. The information we ask you to provide to initiate a request may differ depending upon the type of request; the type, sensitivity, and value of the personal information that is the subject of the request; and the risk of harm to you that may occur as a result of unauthorized access or deletion, among other factors. We may also require you to provide a written declaration that you are who you say you are.
If we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request, we will not be able to comply with your request. We will inform you if we cannot verify your identity or authority. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable request related to your personal information. To authorize an agent, provide written authorization signed by you and your designated agent and contact us as set forth below.
We use data storage and security techniques to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorized modification or unlawful destruction or accidental loss. However, it is important to remember that no website can be 100% secure and we cannot be held responsible for unauthorized or unintended access that is beyond our control.
Additional information for Brazil residents
This section describes certain rights of Brazilian residents under the Lei Geral de Proteção De Dados (LGPD). You have certain rights under Article 18 of the LGPD, including the rights to:
- Confirm that we are processing your personal data;
- Access the personal data we are processing;
- Correct incomplete, inaccurate or out-of-date data;
- Anonymize, block or delete unnecessary or excessive data or data that is not being processed in compliance with the LGPD;
- Obtain a portable copy of your personal data (depending on the regulation to be issued by the Brazilian data protection authority);
- Elimination of personal data processed with your consent, except in the cases where the maintenance of the processing is authorized by LGPD;
- Information on the public and private entities with which we have shared data use;
- Information on the possibility of not providing your consent and the consequences of refusal; and
- Revoke your consent to the processing your personal data, if our processing is based upon your consent.
To exercise any of these rights, you may submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated January 4, 2023